Two die of Carbon monoxide poisoning in Rukungiri

919


RUKUNGIRI– Two people in Rukungiri have been confirmed dead due to poisoning by carbon monoxide as they were burning charcoal.

Elly Maate, the Kigezi Region police spokesperson identified the deceased as Dickson Nabaasa 19 and Justus Busasi 30, both casual labourers at Rev. Fr. Odeda Felix Eugine of Kabale diocese and residents of Kanyancende village, Nyabiteete parish, Bugangari subcounty in Rukungiri district.

It’s alleged that on Friday 17th September 2021 at around 8:00pm, the deceased begun preparations to burn charcoal for their boss who later set fire in the kiln and remained nearby supervising.

It is said that in the morning of Saturday 18th September 2021 at around 6:00am their Collogue a one Hillary Mugabe who had remained taking care of animals at home woke up to milk and observed a lot of soot from the kiln an indication that it was not being attended to.                  

Hillary while in a close distance saw a tapline near the kiln and rushed to save them from getting burnt  but on arrival found the two bodies of the colleagues lying in the same taplin on a mattress with out any covering. 

Maate noted that Hillary reported the incident to Mondo Habasa Wilbroad, the area village chairperson who also notified the police at Bugangari police station.

Tumusime Robert, Byonane Obed, Turyakiira Angela, Nyambuga Gorreti, and Asiimwe Caleb some of the residents described the two deceased as people who were well behaved and disciplined narrating that the community has lost very intelligent and important youth.

Residents added that this is the first incident to occur in their village and claim lives while carrying out charcoal burning activity.

Cue……….RESIDENTS VOX POPS………

Habasa Wilber the area chairperson Lc1 said that the incident was unfortunate encouraging people carrying out the same activity to always sleep away from charcoal burning to avoid Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cue…CHAIRMAN Lci………….

Scene of crime was visited by police, postmortem done and bodies were handed over to the relatives for burrial.

However, Maate revealed that postmortem results indicated that they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A case file of sudden death by carbon monoxide poisoning was recorded vide R’RI CRB 1335/2021.